All it takes is one 60 degree day here in Chicago and it got me going full Spring ahead into making some seasonal changes around my home. I got to open the windows if even just the slightest bit and let the sun stream through the sheer white linen and onto my space. Once this happened it was almost as if the sun highlighted all the things I needed to work on. But I’m not mad at you sun. Never could be. It just gave me the push I needed to make a little listology so I could get into serious Spring cleaning mode, so here we go!
LISTOLOGY #0325 FULL SPRING AHEAD!
1) Start with a clean slate. Take everything off the counters and tables and clean the surfaces really good. Don’t forget about dusting vents, window jams and other areas that have been closed up or used a lot in the winter. A quick and easy DIY solution for cleaning countertops is using halves of lemons as scrubbers.
2) De-clutter + organize. Definitely take these steps before re-designing anything in your space. Whether it’s putting away that coat rack, your stack of sweaters, heavy blankets, etc Once everything is organized it allows you to get a better idea of what you’re working with.
3) Bring in fresh herbs + plants. I just bought a basil plant for the kitchen and of course some more succulents. Having lots of plants inside not only brings a little of the outdoors in, but also helps improve air circulation too!
4) Fresh flowers! I buy fresh flowers every week, they are always a cheerful addition to any room, especially in the colder months. Even if its a $2 bunch of daffodils or a $5 bunch from Trader Joes split up amongst 3 different vases, fresh flowers are always a good idea.
5) Paint your space. If not a whole room, maybe just an accent wall. It doesn’t stop on the walls, as you’re looking around for things to freshen up, look at your furniture, maybe it just needs a little polishing or a fun pop of color. A quick DIY solution for furniture polish is using 1c. of olive oil, 4 T of vinegar, and 2 t of lemon juice. Always gets the job done!
6) Look beyond the bigger picture to little details. For instance, I’ve already noticed my cooking has changed from soups and casseroles to lighter pastas, wraps and salads. This recipe for Peachy Spring Rolls
is a perfect example. Yum! The little details in the kitchen like the wear of wooden spoons or pots and pans are something to be on the look out for too!
7) So, now you have cleaned, organized and packed away the wintery stuff, time for the fun part! Let’s get re-arrangin’! A new space plan is the best way to freshen up a room. The simple task of moving my desk under the window in my office was a perfect solution to cold weather blues.
8) In the bedroom, trade up flannel sheets and heavier blankets to linen bedding in light florals, pastels or all white. It makes such a crisp, bright statement. Change out heavier window treatments for ones of lighter material.
9) After cleaning out a fireplace, use it as a statement piece in the room. Layer in different levels of terra cotta pots with succulents, candles or stack wood logs to the top.
10) Now that your home looks the part, now for the springlike scents. You can easily make your own oil diffuser. Whether you like vanilla, lavender, mint or citrus, its up to you! Grab a glass bottle with a narrow opening and fill it with drops of oil (20-30 drops for every 8 oz of water) now add some twigs and sticks from outside and you’re all set!